NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jun 21 03:37:05 UTC 2016

Owen

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 6:03 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> If ARIN didn’t exist, how would you go about guaranteeing unique registered GUA blocks and ASNs? Who would operate whois and in-addr.arpa, ip6.arpa?
>> ICANN operates in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa.
> ICANN takes the data supplied by the RIRs and compiles it into zone files which are then distributed to servers.

Among others, yes (hint: not all the IPv4 and IPv6 address space is managed by the RIRs).

> AIUI, most of the servers are hosted and maintained by the RIRs. Most if not all of the zone file information is supplied to ICANN by the RIRs.

Perhaps you should review how the DNS works. Hint: who operates the master for in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa and what is the role of secondaries?

> I stand by my statement to the extent that it is close enough for the purposes for which it was made.

Your statement posited the nonexistence of ARIN.  ARIN is a secondary for in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa (like the other RIRs) and maintains a registry for the address blocks allocated to them by ICANN as the IANA Numbering Function operator. If ARIN did not exist, then the reverse delegations for which ARIN is authoritative could easily be managed by the other RIRs, the entities to which ARIN currently delegates, or the myriad of other DNS registries. This really isn't rocket science.

> Without the RIR, ICANN’s idea of what should go into ip6.arpa and in-addr.arp would get pretty stale pretty fast.

Or not, as long as the entities to which ARIN delegated were aware of the registry they should update.  This really isn't rocket science.

> Of course, that wouldn’t matter because AIUI, without the servers being supplied, hosted, maintained by the RIRs, it would also be fairly invisible as well.

Again, perhaps you should review how the DNS works. Hint: where do referrals to the sub-trees of .ARPA come from?

> But keep those ICANN delusions of grandeur coming.

You asked a question. I answered that question accurately. I am unsure why that would cause you to assert delusions of grandeur.

Regards,
-drc
(speaking only for myself)