IPv6 Ingress traffic by default

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 20 22:09:24 UTC 2016

In message <B950E696-1A72-4166-B615-A68BF30AD4F2 at puck.nether.net>, Jared Mauch writes:

> > On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:30 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> traffic.

> >> This (open by default vs closed) has been discussed before, with
> plenty
> >> of people on either side.
> >>

> >> /mark
> >
> > I’m unaware of anyone advocating open inbound by default residential
> CPE.
>
> I’m sure changing the subject line will draw out the purists at heart :)
>
> > I’m not saying they don’t exist, but I can’t imagine how anyone could
> possibly defend that position rationally.
>
> I think certain things, eg: SSH would be ‘safe-ish’ to support ingress,
> but at the same time, you connect something like a Raspberry PI w/ global
> V6 and someone is doing honeypot stuff in pool.ntp.org you may get
> someone doing ssh pi/raspberry with automation before you can even change
> the passwords.

And that is the fault of the Raspberry PI.  There is zero reason for
the Raspberry PI to be open to the world before it has been configured.
It could have a initial configuration that is just

	permit <local-prefixes>/64 any port 22
	deny any any port 22

That is just as safe as the CPE firewall would have been and doesn't
require a external firewall.  It would be nice if that could have
been

	permit <local-prefixes>/48 any port 22

but a group of ISP's thought they knew better than the IETF and
decided that they would not listen to the advice that every site
gets a /48 so now there is no sensible site wide default prefix.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org