NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Sat Jun 18 17:54:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> What Randy just wrote is exactly the point I was trying to make in my last
> email. Some real estate facility owners/managers have got into the mistaken
> mindset that they can get the greatest value and the most monthly revenue
> from the square-footage of their building by charging additional MRC XC
> fees to the tenants of the building.

There are some VERY sucessful companies that would strongly disagree with
you.

> When in fact the opposite is true, and we need a concerted community effort
> to lobby every IX real estate owner with this fact: Your real estate will
> be MORE valuable and will attract a greater critical mass of carriers,
> eyeball networks, CDNs, huge hosting providers/colo/VM, etc if you make the
> crossconnects free.

But then why would we want to do that?  If you are correct and doing so
would raise the value of the real esatate, doesn't that mean that the
building managers would be able to charge operators a whole lot more than
they are able to today, in aggregate?  Value based pricing is all the rage
these days, which is why they charge you so much for cross connects.  Why
do you think they wouldn't take advantage of higher value real estate by
charging you more for that, instead?  After all, the free cross connect
situation would be a great way for the owners to lock you into their real
estate, then all they have to do is dramatically hike the rates when you
can no longer leave.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442