1GE L3 aggregation

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jun 18 11:05:37 UTC 2016

On 16/Jun/16 22:27, Saku Ytti wrote:

> I'm not saying it's bad solution, I know lot of people do it. But I
> think people only do it, because L3 at port isn't offered by vendors
> at lower rates.

A lot of people did it because because there really wasn't a cheap,
dense solution until about 2010. And even then, the traditional strategy
had become so entrenched that running IP all the way in the Access was
such a foreign concept which was most certainly a lot more expensive
than incumbent Layer 2-based Access models.

I feel this has since changed with the current offerings from Cisco,
Juniper and Brocade. The problem now is how to scale the low-speed port
density up, as well as add 10Gbps port density, without increasing the
cost or size of the platforms.

Mark.