NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Jun 17 23:27:36 UTC 2016

>> Cross connects are our industry's $100 gold plated HDMI cables.
>
> In the US maybe.  Cross-connect prices are much more reasonable in
> Europe (€0 - €50/month).
>
> Personally, I don't have a problem with MRCs when ordering
> cross-connects: data centres are expensive to build and run.  But
> yeah, $300/m is nuts and that price point has zero relationship to the
> cost of delivery of the service.

[ i know you know this, but i hope you do not mind being a soapbox ]

back in the day, the seattle westin building (not the hotel, but a 33
story office building next door) had a smart manager.  he had a riser
shaft built out and set a very low nrc/mrc for copper and fiber.  given
the building's copper mmr (meet me room) and a fiber mmr, colos
exploded, and now the building is mostly racks, vying for being the
largest carrier hotel in the left coast.  the six was built and expanded
rapidly in this fertile environment.

no, the westin is not making millions off of cross-connects, but they
do not have rental vacancies.

due to the shortage, and maybe price (dunno), of westin space, the six
has been extended to a few other buildings; see diagram at bottom of
https://www.seattleix.net/topology.  this makes sense to me.  extensions
to distant cities make less sense to me; but i am an old fogey.

randy