Netflix banning HE tunnels

Donn Lasher D.Lasher at f5.com
Wed Jun 15 21:03:37 UTC 2016

On 6/12/16, 8:10 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Seth Mattinen" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:

>On 6/7/16 4:23 AM, Davide Davini wrote:
>> Today I discovered Netflix flagged my IPv6 IP block as "proxy/VPN" and I
>> can't use it if I don't disable the HE tunnel, which is the only way for
>> me to have IPv6 at the moment.
>

>This is a rights management issue not a technical one. Netflix is not to
>blame, HE is not to blame. Hate on geolcaotion all you want, but that's
>what the content owners insist upon and Netflix has no choice but to
>disable access from sources that they can't geolocate well enough to
>make the content owners happy.
>
>~Seth

As someone who has been trying to get solid, consistent IPv6 at home since 2010, I continue to resort back to my HE tunnels, which have been both useful and dependable.

Given the data Netflix client has available to it (IPv4 address, IPv6 address, anything else exposed to android/IOS/windows/etc app) it’s surprising to me that missing/incorrect geolocation data on an IPv6 address is enough to block service.

The end result is, yet again, making IPv6 adoption harder than it needs to be.