NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jun 15 18:10:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016, Randy Bush wrote:

> that is where the big euro exchanges started.  then they got equinix
> envy and colonialism.  let's see (and help) the six avoid these diseases
> over the next years.

Well, the customers also wanted more functions and features. They wanted
sFLOW statistics to show traffic, customer portals, better SLAs,
distributed IXes, remote peering, more hand-holding when connecting etc.
They also told IX operators that it was good if they did
good-for-the-Internet things. They also sent lawyers to (re)negotiate
contracts, demand special discounts, treat the IXP like any other supplier
of services that you want to negotiate with.

So now IXPs started to look a lot more like small/medium ISPs than
anything else. This means economy of scale, which means expansion to get
bigger footprint using same systems makes sense.

So here we are now... Where do we want to go?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se