NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Dave Temkin dave at temk.in
Wed Jun 15 11:21:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Aled Morris <aledm at qix.co.uk> wrote:

> Me too and I was confused about what the point of it was.
>
> I had always assumed the customers of those IXs he singled out were
> generally happy with the service they were getting and the money they are
> paying.
>
> Is Dave trying to say they are being duped?  Is he trying to identify a
> need for regulation?

I was pointing out facts about IXPs that many did not know, including the
actual organizational structure.

I was also opining on how these IXPs could be better; mainly, how they
choose to spend money.

> Perhaps Dave was advocating the SIX model and suggesting the customers of
> the existing exchanges should be looking to organise an alternative in
> their localities.

Absolutely correct (which should answer Hank's question, as well).

> Or perhaps this is a wakeup call for LoNAP and the smaller exchanges who
> "compete" with AMS-IX, DE-CIX and NetNod - stop trying to mimic their
> commercial models (big fees which pay for staff and marketing) and look
> instead at the lean SIX as the way of offering a service at a price
> competitive to transit.

Also absolutely correct. I don't want to see them falling into a trap of
conflating marketing and outreach and/or offering an overly rich product
set at the cost of price and operational simplicity.

> Or was there a hidden message in Dave's presentation that I missed?

Seems like you got it.