NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jun 14 17:49:28 UTC 2016

> A possible PC revision could have been 1) add more flavor of dominate
> US IXP's (of all organization structures) - as that geographical focus
> makes more sense for NANOG 2) don't list specific organizations by
> name, but instead just list their organization structure and a random
> identifier.

< rant >

pablum nog.  you are pandering to vendors to keep attendee costs down so
you can have a high attendee count most of whom are sales folk.  what
can possibly go wrong?

the pc be should have at least two talks including the unvarnished truth
about specific named vendors, and at least one talk must be about a
'sponsor', whatever the hell that is and why it is needed.  different
ones every time, it is a target rich environment.

the O in nanog is operator, not sponsor, panderer, suck up, ...  we're
spending millions for half debugged underperforming crap and we are
cornered by infrastructure providers (e.g. ixps) who run us over time
and again if it makes an extra penny.

if you tell the vendors the truth, the real vendor engineers can go home
and explain why they need management support to fix things.  the truth
makes us all free.

randy