Netflix banning HE tunnels

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 01:27:41 UTC 2016

On 13 June 2016 at 02:05, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> 2.      Consistent and easier comparisons for equality or ranges
>                 In iPv4, this was useful. In IPv6, it’s essential.

You could also normalize your IPv6 text representation. There is even RFC
5952 for that. Abbreviated the rule is:

1) lower case
2) as short as possible, except do not shorten just one :0: into ::.
3) if there is more than one possible :: block that results in the same
shortest length, choose the first block as ::.

I am not quite sure why they put in the exception not to shorten one zero,
but otherwise this is what most people would naturally come up with.

Also, technically there is more than one IPv4 representation too. I have in
the past poked security holes through this as most people forget (or don't
know):

Baldurs-MacBook-Pro-2:~ baldur$ ping -c1 100000000
PING 100000000 (5.245.225.0): 56 data bytes

Regards,

Baldur