intra-AS messaging for route leak prevention

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Fri Jun 10 17:19:29 UTC 2016

On Fri 2016-Jun-10 13:08:48 -0400, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>

>> On 10/Jun/16 16:47, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>

>> so I can't be a customer of you and a network you peer with?
>>

>> You can, but we won't learn your paths via the peering session we would
>> have with your other ISP.

Wouldn't "learn but depref" be preferred and more common?  E.g. customer
routes get tagged with "customer route" community and local-pref'd to 150
or something; peer routes get tagged with "peer route" community and local
pref'd somewhere below that.

Else any of your other customers that are single-homed to you can't reach
your dual-homed customer A in cases where customer A's link to you is down,
but customer A has other transits with whom you peer?

Unless it's mitigated by you accepting customer A's prefixes from any
transits you have, which at the least seems sub-optimal (now reaching them
via transit rather than peering if customer A's circuit is down) or
possibly also up-ended if you also similarly apply "don't accept customer
prefixes from transits".

No?

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal