Netflix banning HE tunnels

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jun 10 05:52:35 UTC 2016

In message <0e36af3e-9781-4f2b-1080-af915fff3755 at blakjak.net>, Mark Foster writ
es:

> On 10/06/2016 4:38 p.m., Mark Andrews wrote:
> >> It would be nice to live in a world where that were the case. However, the
> >> world we live in is run my bean counters, and the marketing department.
> >> IPv6 is a huge project that is seen by them as an unnecessary expense.
> > Absolute BS.  IPv6 has never needed to be a huge project for a ISP
> > compared to everything else a ISP does.  It required some research
> > and ensuring that you bought compatible equipement and things fell
> > due for replacement.  If you failed to do the research and therefore
> > needed to do everthing in a rush then it might seem like a huge
> > project.
>
> Router-jockeys and purists often cite this. I've done it myself.
> But there are a lot more moving parts in most service providers than
> simply the ones and zeros.
> Bandwidth Accounting, Billing, Provisioning systems in particular - and
> the developers/maintainers of these who have little or no knowledge of
> IPv6 and perhaps not a lot more than that of IPv4, except that it's more
> easily human-read and digested?

And the same applies to those systems.

> This was very much my experience in more than one ISP job over recent
> years - the network kit is more than capable, it's the bits around the
> outside that need work.
> Even if routing and switching kit was subject to lifecycle-replacement
> every 5 years or so, software components that are in the background,
> 'just work' and suddenly are very black-boxy because the author has long
> since left the organisation and noone left behind knows how to make it
> IPv6ready... sometimes the forklift approach is what is left.

For most things conversion to support IPv6 is trivial.  The hardest
thing is getting someone to signoff on someone looking under the
hood.

> Sorry this is tangental to the thread's focus but every time I see this
> particular argument trotted out I feel like it's overlooking the
> obvious; lack of sufficient forethought 10 years ago turns into
> significant piece of work today. A lesson? Yes, but hindsight is 20:20.

And people were arguing 10+ years ago to start now so you don't
need to do everything in a rush.  What we got back then was "IPv6
won't take off".  This isn't 20:20 hindsite.  It's we told you so.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org