Netflix banning HE tunnels

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 02:54:02 UTC 2016

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 19:17:37 -0400, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> The average consumer wants a "internet connection".

And sadly, they haven't a clue what that means. They plug the thing into
the other thing, and they can click on things in their web browser.
They're why we have boxes with color coded connectors and cables.

> What will happen is that as CGN starts to break things for people
> like gamers they will start asking for IPv6, like us network geeks
> ask for IPv6.

Correction: after much lamenting and whining to their gaming buddies via
various forums until someone boils it all down to one word "IPv6". And
then were back to ape mentality... they don't know what it is, but they
now know that's what they need. They have, thus, been "educated" -- to a
microscopic level only a physicist can measure, but they will now demand
"IPv6 (whatever that is.)"

> That being said, those who know what a internet connection should
> be delivering should be advocating for the real deal.  It is our
> ethical responsability to do this for our customers.

It would be nice to live in a world where that were the case. However, the
world we live in is run my bean counters, and the marketing department.
IPv6 is a huge project that is seen by them as an unnecessary expense.
Everything works right now, right? CGN is easy; it's just one big box. 6RD
is just one more box, and then it's the customers problem to use it (etc.)
Companies do what makes them money without costing them money. IPv6 is the
exact opposite, it costs a lot and generates nothing.

I agree, we should've turned this shit on a decade ago (or more.)

Of course, the whole mess is exactly what you get out of "designed by
committee". With zero interoperability, and no viable migration paths,
it's a Forklift Upgrade(tm). People don't do Forklift Upgrades(tm). "So
you want me to rip out all the token-ring gear and replace it with
ethernet?" That was a hard sell, and there was interoperability and
bridging technology. "So you want me to throw away by Novell IPX network
and replace it with TCP/IP?" While Novell did work over IP in the later
years, people hung on to their "works perfectly for our needs" IPX
infrastructure for decades -- IPX WANs, even. (some still exists to this
day. In fact, the massive kyocera printer here still supports IPX. And
Appletalk! Holy crap, my horse isn't dead; they still don't talk to each
other.)