Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:59:37 UTC 2016

None of this is a problem with actual network engineering, HE's tunnels
work fine. It goes in the category of political/economic/contractual , not
"this is a technical problem we need to solve".

The problem exists with business/contractual relationship Netflix has with
its content providers, which barring a miraculous data leak from a
disgruntled sysadmin at Netflix, will remain completely opaque to everyone
on the outside looking in.

Due to the large sums of money involved, my best guess is that the recent
crackdown on VPN and VPN-like tunnels is a result of major content
providers staff that have been provided with greatly increased visibility
into Netflix's internal processes for identifying and blocking VPNs.
Undoubtedly there are dozens of pages in the contracts defining metrics for
geolocation and acceptable vs unacceptable levels of "leakage" of content.

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com