Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:39:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Aled Morris <aledm at qix.co.uk> wrote:

> Maybe HE's IPv6 tunnel packets could be flagged with a destination option
> (extension header field) that records the end-user's IPv4 tunnel endpoint
> so geolocation could be done in the "old fashioned" way on that address.
>
> Similar to the way that edns-client-subnet records the end user's address
> for geolocation purposes.

​why is this any problem at all for HE to solve?
why is this any problem at all for NetFlix to solve?

HE just provides transport
Netflix is just complying (I suspect) with the wishes of the content owners.

complain to your local content owner about this? show the content owners
that this sort of restriction in a global economy is
silly/counter-productive? explain that: "while I'm a Citizen of locale X, I
may often travel around to A, B, C and I'd like for my NetFlix to work in
all locations, since I pay good pesos for that access?"​

​Doing any sort of 'authentication' or 'authorization' on src-IP is just ..
broken.​