Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Jun 3 20:55:43 UTC 2016

Wifi location depends on a bunch of problematic things.  First, your SSID needs to get collected and put in a database somewhere.  That itself is a crap shoot.  Next, you can stop google (and some other wifi databases) from collecting the data by putting _nomap at the end of your SSID.  Lastly, not everyone has wifi or iOS or GPS or whatever location method you can think of.  BTW, my apple TV is on a wired Ethernet, not wifi.

Point is, for whatever location technology you want to use be it IP, GPS, WiFi location, sextant…..they can be inaccurate and they can be faked and there are privacy concerns with all of them.  What the content producers need to figure out is that regionalization DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE!  The original point was that they could have different release dates in different areas at different prices and availability.  They are going to have to get over it because they will lose the technological arms race.

There is no reason you could not beat all of the location systems with a simple proxy.  A proxy makes a Netflix connection from an allowed IP, location or whatever and then builds a new video/audio stream out the back end to the client anywhere in the world.  Simple to implement and damn near impossible to beat.  Ever hear of Slingbox?

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL