IPv6 is better than ipv4

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:31:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:

> Yes.

​REALLY??? I mean REALLY? people that operate networks haven't haven't had
beaten into their heads:
  1) cgn is expensive
  2) there is no more ipv4 (not large amounts for large deployments of new
thingies)
  3) there really isn't much else except the internet for global networking
and reachabilty
  4) ipv6 'works' on almost all gear you'd deploy in your network

and content side folks haven't had beaten into their heads:
  1) ipv6 is where the network is going, do it now so you aren't caught
with your pants (proverbial!) down
  2) more and more customers are going to have ipv6 and not NAT'd ipv4...
you can better target, better identify and better service v6 vs v4 users​.
  3) adding ipv6 transport really SHOULD be as simple as adding a AAAA

I figure at this point, in 2016, the reasons aren't "marketing" but either:
  a) turning the ship is hard (vz's continual lack of v6 on wireline
services...)
  b) can't spend the opex/capex while keeping the current ship afloat
  c) meh

I can't see that 'marketing' is really going to matter... I mean, if you
haven't gotten the message now:
   http://i.imgur.com/8vZOU0T.gif