Turning Off IPv6 for Good (was Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed)

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Jun 2 03:41:54 UTC 2016

  Turns out it has nothing to do with my IPv4 connectivity. Neither of my
ISPs has native IPv6 connectivity, so both require tunnels (one of them
to HE.net, one to the ISPs own tunnel broker), and both appear to be
detected as a non-permitted VPN. As an early IPv6 adopter, I've had IPv6
on all my household devices for years now.

  So after having to temporarily turn off IPv6 at my desktop to fix
issues with pay.gov (FCC license payments), and issues with various
other things, and then remember to turn it back on again... I now have
the reason I've been waiting for to turn it off globally for the whole
house.

  Thanks Netflix for helping move us forward here.

Matthew Kaufman

ps. Would still be helpful if the support techs could tell from the
error codes that the denied VPN is an IPv6 tunnel