Cloudflare, dirty networks and politricks

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun Jul 31 21:36:55 UTC 2016

Besides legal costs I've informed customers that I will charge them
(insert billable hourly rate) for any complaints or similar our staff
has to field beyond what we'd consider a normal volume which is pretty
low.

One guy who wasn't quite to the level of spamming as usually
conceived, not in intent, but ran a professional content list but had
a bad habit of wholesale adding mail addresses -- this was quite a
while ago when such things weren't so clear. I finally billed him
~$1,000 after several warnings and he paid it and said he understood
that our time is worth money.

I kind of felt bad because I didn't believe his intentions were in any
way malicious. Mostly he'd scrape similarly themed lists and websites,
but we really were getting quite a few complaints per day some which
merited responses...and he did run the list to promote his own
consulting. But at some point time really is money.

I suppose that sort of thing could be used in a case like this where
someone hosts a web site of questionable intent but never uses your
service to actually do anything questionable. If it incurs you costs
such as telling people you're not the right party it seems reasonable
to expect reimbursement. I think the law uses the term "attractive
nuisance".

Which of course leads to shutting someone down if they refuse to pay.
Again you've reduced it to just a credit or payment issue rather than
citing the content specifically other than perhaps as an explanation
why you're getting too many complaints.

--
        -Barry Shein