Cloudflare, dirty networks and politricks

bzs at TheWorld.com bzs at TheWorld.com
Fri Jul 29 19:36:03 UTC 2016

Unfortunately that raises the issue of what's generally termed in law
a "business boycott" which is at least tortiable if not illegal.

The grocer can't agree with your landlord not to sell you food until
you catch up on the rent.

They can agree to use this information to refuse you credit but even
that's quite constrained by law even if often done anyhow. And that's
a credit relationship so different.

I went over this with my attorney when another ISP asked me to shut a
customer's account down because they were spamming them from a third
ISP's account.

I asked to look at the emails (spam) in question and none originated
at our site. The acct in question on my site didn't do anything
problematic that I could find.

My lawyer explained the above to me: You can't do that, business
boycott.

The other ISP (specifically a sysadmin) who'd asked me to shut the
acct got so angry at this response, he took it all very personally and
unprofessionally, that I had to bring in his own legal dept to explain
this to him which he of course took as a further affront. It got ugly
but you don't need the details.

That's the problem with all this folksy armchair "law", it's often
very bad advice and based on the assumption that the law must agree
with one's emotional feelings. Good luck with that.

--
        -Barry Shein