Cloudflare, dirty networks and politricks

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 00:34:39 UTC 2016

On Thursday, July 28, 2016, Donn Lasher via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> On 7/28/16, 10:17 AM, "NANOG on behalf of J. Oquendo" <
> nanog-bounces at nanog.org <javascript:;> on behalf of joquendo at e-fensive.net
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>

> >While many are chanting: #NetworkLivesMatter, I have yet
> >to see, read, or hear about any network provider being
> >the first to set precedence by either de-peering, or
> >blocking traffic from Cloudflare. There is a lot of
> >keyboard posturing: "I am mad and I am not going to take
> >it anymore" hooplah but no one is lifting a finger to
> >do anything other than regurgitate "I am mad... This is
> >criminal."
>
> (long discussion, was waiting for a place to jump in..)
>
> If we want to be accurate about it, Cloudflare doesn’t host the DDoS, they
> protect the website of seller of the product. We shouldn’t be de-peering
> Cloud Flare over sites they protect any more than we would de-peer GoDaddy
> over sites they host, some of which, no doubt, sell gray/black
> market/illegal items/services.
>
> If, on the other hand,  you can find a specific network actually
> generating the volumes of DDoS, you should have a conversation about
> de-peering….
>
> $0.02…

Agreed. Cloudflare is just the messenger

The ddos is coming from your ssdp, dns, and ntp servers. Not Cloudflare.

I see a lot of ddos traffic.

It is always udp

Comcast took a huge step in stemming the ssdp problem in their network,
http://labs.comcast.com/preventing-ssdp-abuse

Thanks Comcast!

But they still host tens of thousands, perhaps more, open dns resolvers
that attack us.