Cloudflare, dirty networks and politricks

Donn Lasher D.Lasher at f5.com
Thu Jul 28 23:30:12 UTC 2016

On 7/28/16, 10:17 AM, "NANOG on behalf of J. Oquendo" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of joquendo at e-fensive.net> wrote:

>While many are chanting: #NetworkLivesMatter, I have yet
>to see, read, or hear about any network provider being
>the first to set precedence by either de-peering, or
>blocking traffic from Cloudflare. There is a lot of
>keyboard posturing: "I am mad and I am not going to take
>it anymore" hooplah but no one is lifting a finger to
>do anything other than regurgitate "I am mad... This is
>criminal."

(long discussion, was waiting for a place to jump in..)

If we want to be accurate about it, Cloudflare doesn’t host the DDoS, they protect the website of seller of the product. We shouldn’t be de-peering Cloud Flare over sites they protect any more than we would de-peer GoDaddy over sites they host, some of which, no doubt, sell gray/black market/illegal items/services.

If, on the other hand,  you can find a specific network actually generating the volumes of DDoS, you should have a conversation about de-peering….

$0.02…