Cloudflare, dirty networks and politricks

J. Oquendo joquendo at e-fensive.net
Thu Jul 28 17:35:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016, Naslund, Steve wrote:

> You obviously have a much shorter Internet memory than some of the engineers on here that have had a long history of killing off and blacklisting various spam and malware operations over the years.  I think the one thing that has changed is that the service providers are now large corporate entities that do not take going to war with each other as lightly as we did back in the day.
>
> Steven Naslund
> Chicago IL

It is this same attitude that throws everything into the
loop we are seeing: "Well Mega Corporation is allowing it
and we can't stop them lest we want to go to war with
them." Define war. What will they do if you de-peer? They
will find another provider to peer with it. That is it.
There is no "war" no one is coming to our offices in full
military gear. The more you guys allow this, the more it
will continue.

Start de-peering companies similar to BGP Dampening. "Oh
didn't respond to our Nthousandth abuse. De-peered for N
amount of time. Increment the time, and when some of these
providers start seeing the cost of associating with these
types of crimes (spam, malware), they have a choice, ship
in or ship out. If ALL PROVIDERS did the same, who would
a dirty host have left to peer with?

Any other answer is nonsense and an excuse... "This will
start a war!!!" Nonsense and quite possibly the sorriest
excuse I have read for lifting a finger. 100 more people
with the same response, means nothing will ever get done.
OTOH ... Let's go back to "OMG THIS HAS TO STOP BUT I AM
NOT GOING TO BE THE ONE LIFTING A FINGER!!! Because...
ERMAHGERD WAR"

--
J. Oquendo

"Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of
real peace" - Dalai Lama

0B23 595C F07C 6092 8AEB  074B FC83 7AF5 9D8A 4463
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFC837AF59D8A4463