cloudflare hosting a ddos service?

Paras Jha paras at protrafsolutions.com
Wed Jul 27 03:21:30 UTC 2016

I read through the blog post, and it was an interesting window into how
Cloudflare operates. If I could be so bold as to raise this issue, however -

Specifically, this part

*Originally, when we would receive reports of phishing or malware we would
terminate the customers immediately. The challenge was that this didn't
actually solve the problem. Since we're just a proxy, not the host, us
terminating the customer doesn't make the harmful content disappear.
Terminating the site effectively just kicked the problem further down the
road, moving it off our network and onto someone else's.*

>From that paragraph, what I understand it as is that Cloudflare doesn't
want to terminate customers hosting illegal content / facilitating illegal
activities because if they do, that content will just move elsewhere. It
was an interesting parallel to one of the problems plaguing the internet
today - source address spoofing. More and more hosts are implementing
source address verification, but unfortunately there are still those that
still allow source address spoofing (and those hosts are sometimes used to
launch amplified DDoS attacks). However, reputable hosts don't make the
argument "We won't disallow source address spoofing because if we block it,
the customers will just go elsewhere". Reputable providers block it, and
try to get others to block the problem as well. The difference is that
Cloudflare is lax "because other people are lax, so it's pointless for us
to be strict".

That kind of logic is the same flawed logic that goes with "I shouldn't
vote, because no matter which way I vote my vote is insignificant". Sure,
as a single entity that's true - but if everybody thought that, we'd be in
a real pickle. Some problems are larger than what an individual faces, and
must be addressed by not just a single entity, but all the entities to whom
this problem affects - it is your responsibility to vote, a hosts
responsibility to disable source address verification (and help fight crime
on their network), and I'd argue it's Cloudflare's responsibility to help
stop abuse.

Just my 2C