IPv6 deployment excuses

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jul 11 07:24:19 UTC 2016

In message <222bac2d-800b-93c7-7d17-bd469e858184 at gmail.com>, Davide Davini writ
es:
> On 01/07/2016 21:52, Mike Jones wrote:
> > I am in contact with a couple of network operators trying to prod them
> > to deploy IPv6, I figured that 10 minutes to send a couple of emails
> > was worth the effort to make them "see a customer demand" (now none of
> > them can use the excuse that nobody has asked for it!), but the
> > replies I got were less than impressive to say the least.
> >
> > I was wondering if you guys could summarise your experiences with
> > people who make excuses for not deploying IPv6? I regularly see a
> > specific person saying "we can't deploy it because X" followed by you
> > guys "correcting them" and telling them how to deploy it without the
> > problems they claim they will have, but that is only a small snapshot
> > of the people who bother to post about their ignorance in public. I
> > suspect there is also a lot of selection-bias in the NANOG membership
> > base but you deal with a lot of enterprise networks off of this list
> > so probably have broader experience than the NANOG archives.
> >
> > Can we have a thread summarising the most common excuses you've heard,
> > and if they are actual problems blocking IPv6 deployment or just down
> > to ignorance? Perhaps this could be the basis for an FAQ type page
> > that I can point people to when they say they don't know how to deploy
> > IPv6 on their networks? :)
>
> Our provider sale representative, who is the most tech savvy sale-rep I
> ever encountered by far, which is not a very high bar, but still, said
> something like:
> "You shouldn't worry about that, we have plenty of IPv4 addresses
> left... and besides we are "working on it(TM)"... it's going to be
> deployed next year... probably "
>
> Needless to say I'm still waiting. :)
>
> Ciao,
> Davide Davini

The default comeback to that is: Are you going to give the addresses
to the people I need to talk to that don't have a unshared IPv4
addresses but do have IPv6 addressess?  I thought not, so get off
you a#$e and deliver IPv6 today.  You are already way too late
delivering IPv6.  It's not like you didn't already have a decade
to plan how to deliver it.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC