Leap Second planned for 2016

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jul 10 16:37:02 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Saku Ytti wrote:

> On 10 July 2016 at 00:12,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>> It doesn't help that the POSIX standard doesn't represent leap seconds
>> anyplace, so any elapsed time calculation that crosses a leap second
>> is guaranteed to be wrong....
>
> So how can we solve the problem? Immediately and long term?

Since one problem is that the leap second code isn't exercised regularily,
I propose that each month there is a leap second either forward or
backward. These forward/backward motions should be fudged to over time
make sure that we stay pretty much correct.

If POSIX needs to be changed, then change it. By making leap second not a
rare event, this would hopefully mean it'll get taken more serously and
the code would receive wider testing than today.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se