Leap Second planned for 2016

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jul 8 23:47:51 UTC 2016

On 9 July 2016 at 02:27, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> Time is actually harder than it seems. Many bits of software break in unexpected ways. Expect the unexpected.

Aye. How many have written code like this:

start = time();
do_something();
elapsed = time() - start;

Virtually all code dealing with passage of time assumes time moves
only forward, I'm amazed we don't see more issues during leap seconds.
Portable monotonic time isn't even available in many languages
standard libraries.

Hopefully they'll decide in 2023 finally to get rid of leap seconds
from UTC. Then GPS_TIME, TAI and UTC are all same with different
static offset.
--
  ++ytti