Interesting Article on Modulation Schemes

Rod Beck rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
Fri Jul 8 22:15:15 UTC 2016

I don't see wide spread deployment. The most recently built TransAtlantic cable is Aquacomms It is QPSK and 130 100 gig waves per pair. Does one really need more? C-Lion, the new Finland/Germany cable is 18 terabits per fiber pair. I think that is 8 QAM. Is that a representative sample?  I don't know. It is certainly a small sample and hence could be highly contained by random error. Since so many ISPs dropped their Layer 2 networks in favor of buying cheap transit, the market for 100 gig waves is limited to Tier 1 ISPs, a few huge hosting companies, and the public Web giants in shopping, social media. I have been told that the video streaming guys like Netflix are more similar to Akamai than Telia. Dense local footprints.

Bottom line. I don't think the demand is sufficient or the interface costs on the customer side sufficiently low. Could be wrong about both.

Regards,

Roderick.