NAT firewall for IPv6?

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:40:31 UTC 2016

On 7/5/16, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund at medline.com> wrote:
> Hard to know where to begin with this one, but let me take a shot at it.
>
> 1.  My top priority would be to get into that Palo Alto firewall.  Get Palo
> Alto on the phone and figure out password recovery with them.  Since you
> don’t have the password it is possible that firewall is compromised.  Do not
> be surprised if you have to jump through some hoops with Palo Alto to prove
> that you own it and what has happened.  Remember their job is to keep people
> out of your network.  They are probably also going to want you to be current
> on support.  If you have to pay to get current on support, do it.  You need
> that help right now badly.
>
> You could ask Palo Alto how to block the v6 while you are at it or even
> better set up a rules that mirror your v4 protection.   I cannot stress
> enough how big a security issue it is to not have access to your firewall
> and not know who does.
>
> 2.  There are lots of ways to shut off ipv6 but my suggestion would be to
> just secure the Palo Alto firewall,

Right.  But how long is it going to take to secure the Palo Alto firewall?
If the central Cisco Catalyst really is an IPv6 router, doing a
conf t
ipv6 access-list denyIPv6
  deny ipv6 any any

interface [whatever connects to the ISP]
 ipv6 traffic-filter denyIPv6 in
 ipv6 traffic-filter denyIPv6 out
end
would be a quick fix for the firewall not doing any ipv6 filtering.
It could also break ipv6 enabled web sites or even internal
connectivity, so it'd be better to get someone on the phone w/ Cisco
tech support and have Cisco figure out the best way to block IPv6 for
you.

>  ... to say that any legitimate service
> should have a ipv4 address is not quite true now and will definitely not be
> true in the near future.

True.  But they're in "stop the bleeding" mode and disabling ipv6 is
just a temp work-around until the firewall is fixed.

Regards,
Lee