IPv6 deployment excuses

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jul 5 02:47:42 UTC 2016

> On Jul 4, 2016, at 10:32 PM, Matt Hoppes <mattlists at rivervalleyinternet.net> wrote:
>
> Jared,
> The issue I have with the whole DNS IPv6 thing is IPs are static (on infrastructure), DNS can get munged up and is another database we have to maintain.

I’m not sure I understand your point.  DNS is DNS.  It’s not the 1990s anymore and people should not be doing this without automation.

> So now rather than just maintaining an IP database we have to maintain a database for DNS to IP and the IP.

This should be done at the same time.  There’s plenty of people who have done this, so you shouldn’t have to build it yourself either, but you may want to.

> And Ina subscriber network things like cpe12232.domain.com are worthless for identifying the end user so I'm referencing the Ip back to something else anyway.

Your central unit should be the subscriber and they should have the relevant attributes associated with them, be it IP history as well as account history.  You can have the DNS system sign on the fly if you have DNSSEC and that’s your concern.  IPv6 hosts still leave something to be desired for dynamic DNS entries, but looking at what happens behind Comcast as an example, there are no PTR records, eg:

2601:401:4:3000:71d1:cf8e:a951:xxxx -> x.x.x.x.1.5.9.a.e.8.f.c.1.d.1.7.0.0.0.3.4.0.0.0.1.0.4.0.1.0.6.2.ip6.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

If you want to make it more user friendly, you can overload it like this:

openresolverproject.org has address 204.42.254.206
openresolverproject.org has IPv6 address 2001:418::7011:204:42:254:206

- Jared