IPv6 deployment excuses

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Jul 4 15:58:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016, Matt Hoppes wrote:

> My point is there are more than enough IPv4 addresses. The issue is not
> resources. It is hoarding and inappropriate use.

I tend to make the analogy of land use and/or houses/apartments. Yes,
there is that old lady down the street who lives in 300 square meters
(~3000 sq feet for those who are !metric), and then there is the student
who shares a 30sq meter studio with another student.

Now what? Yes, this is not fair and it's inefficient utilization of
resources, but how are you going to rectify this? Forcibly take away the
apartment from the old lady and tell her to go live somewhere else just
because it isn't fair that she has 10 times the apartment size as the
student?

IPv6 is the answer, because it doesn't have shortcoming when it comes to
available "land". Everybody can get plenty. No need to try to take away
resources from someone holding them (legitimately) as per the rules of
yestercentury.