IPv6 deployment excuses

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 4 09:21:37 UTC 2016

On 4/Jul/16 11:04, Tore Anderson wrote:

> My point is that as a content provider, I only need dual-stacked
> façade. That can easily be achieved using, e.g., protocol translation
> at the outer border of my network.
>
> The inside of my network, where 99.99% of all the complexity, devices,
> applications and so on reside, can be single stack IPv6-only today.
>
> Thus I get all the benefits of running a single stack network, minus a
> some fraction of a percent needed to operate the translation system.
> (I could in theory get rid of that too by outsourcing it somewhere.)

The NAT64 translation still requires a dual-stack deployment. Of course,
it is a smaller % of your overall single-stack IPv6 network, but still
there nonetheless.

The advantage with NAT64, as you say, is that it easier to rip it out
when the IPv4 Internet dies a happy death, than it would be if one were
keeping IPv4 primary and sticking IPv6 duct tape on top.

Mark.