IPv6 deployment excuses

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Sat Jul 2 16:49:40 UTC 2016

There's one other major issue faced by stub networks which I have
encountered at $DAYJOB:

- My upstream(s) refuse(s) to support IPv6

This *is* a deal breaker. The pat response of "get new upstreams" is not
helpful and shows the distinct bias among this community to the large
players who actually have budgets to work with. It's not always possible
to change to a better upstream and even when it is, it is often
prohibitively expensive. This is particularly the case with colocation
where the cost of changing providers is huge as it requires physically
relocating equipment. That either requires doubling up (very expensive)
or non-trivial downtime (also likely very expensive). This is an
especially sad state of affairs given that at least one very large
network (AS701) has pulled this refusal at some data centres on their
network. Their specific excuse du jour changes every few months but it
usually boils down to "we don't want to put any effort or resources into
updating anything".