Netflix NOC? VPN Mismarked?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 28 22:31:03 UTC 2016

In message <CA+4TWFtkjkASEG+grECbAv6-fvGT+k-EhXNw5jitDYN3370DtQ at mail.gmail.com>, Chris Knipe writes:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> > There's little reason to buy a newer TV more than every 5 - 10 years, so
> > many TVs will be stranded until (if) they have some unifying firmware.
>
> Well the TV is also meaningless if the CPE, and (at the very least) service
> provider don't support IPv6.  And yes, that is unfortunately reality.   If
> you look beyond the US and EU, and maybe Brazil, the rest of the world,
> unfortunately, is FAR from IPv6 adoption, and that *is* reality.

$CPE << $TV and CPE are easily replaced with one that supports IPv6
even if it is only via a tunnel initially while you wait for the
ISP to deliver IPv6 natively.

So requesting IPv6 support in the TV isn't meaningless.  The TV
will also most probably still be in use when the ISP finally delivers
IPv6.

Having the devices in the home support IPv6 before the ISP does is
how we get 50+% IPv6 traffic the moment the ISP switches on IPv6 /
CPE is replaced with one that supports IPv6.

The world is waiting for the ISP's to get off their collective
backsides and deliver IPv6.

> Hence my initial comments... It's going to be many more years, before IPv6
> is the "fix" for any real problems currently experienced with IPv4.  Sad,
> but unfortunately, true.

It will only be years if the ISP's let it be years.  Your cell
phones support IPv6, your desktop/laptop supports IPv6, increasing
numbers of TVs, game devices, printers all support IPv6.  If random
IoT doesn't support IPv6 DON'T BUY IT and complain to the sales
person that it doesn't support IPv6.  Getting IPv6 support doesn't
cost anymore, it just requires one to be a little choosy.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org