Equipment Supporting 2.5gbps and 5gbps

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Thu Jan 28 19:13:58 UTC 2016

I wouldn't say that used or grey market really count as viable options. If we count that, I can get 1GbE for free.

The reality is that for a unit that is supported (both software releases and warranty) properly for deployment in mission critical situations, 10GbE costs ~10x 1GbE.

While the options you mention have their place, I would not say that any of them are "supported properly"

The ubiquiti unit would be very interesting to see, but the lack of support structure would steer me away for anything mission critical. Might be great for test-bed or home use, though.

Back on the original topic, I could certainly see a potential for 2.5 or 5 GbE (even optical) if the pricing was better than 10GbE. My guess is that by the time 2.5/5 is really available, 10GbE will be enough more affordable to skip over the 2.5/5 stuff.

thanks,
-Randy