Netflix NOC? VPN Mismarked?

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Thu Jan 28 15:27:03 UTC 2016

It depends on whether the exact model is being sold after a couple of
years, and not superseded by new models.  This is the case in the
wireless router world, where product churn leaves last year's model an
orphan when it comes to updates.

Not so much in the OS world, only because the OS doesn't churn that
quickly.  But look at Windows and its history on support being withdrawn
long before the product is useless (or the "new" product is worthless,
causing people to hang back on upgrades).

I shudder to think what will happen when IoT ramps up significantly.
Will the stories we hear today about thermostats failing after a botched
upgrade continue, or will the vendors get their act together?