IX ARP Timeout

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 28 09:20:22 UTC 2016

Unless your IX has an unusual amount of churn, a four hour timeout really shouldn’t be a problem.

Stale records really shouldn’t be a problem as they should get overwritten with gratuitous ARPs when needed.

OTOH, having the ARP be somewhat sticky can not only reduce broadcast traffic, but also preserve visibility of what was when trying to troubleshoot.

I’m trying to think of a downside to a 400 second ARP timeout for an XP and I guess I’m short of creativity at the moment because I’m coming up blank.

Owen