Equipment Supporting 2.5gbps and 5gbps

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jan 27 21:45:27 UTC 2016

Hi,
> I've a couple 10 port Cisco switches that support 2.5 and 5gbps over cat5e, just wondering if there are any other vendors out there with offerings that support these newer ethernet speeds. Supporting cat5e for these multi-gig speeds is a real boon in many circumstances given the wide popularity of it in many buildings.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of other products, switches in particular, supporting 2.5 and 5 gbps?

well, until the standard is ratified, these Multi-Gig offerings are quite proprietary..

there are 2 competing camps....hopefully they will be compatible and not end up like beta/vhs once the dust settles

camp 1 - http://www.nbaset.org/

camp 2 - http://www.mgbasetalliance.org/

look at those vendors..... I think they hope by avoiding IEEE int he early stages and taping silicon they'll
get the job done quicker - the drive mainly being faster wireless APs and cheaper data centre interconnects...

alan