Peering Exchange

Justin Wilson lists at mtin.net
Tue Jan 26 21:18:32 UTC 2016

You have a couple of things to consider. Most exchanges have route servers. Some folks peer with those and pretty much anyone can gain access to these route servers. Not everyone peers with these however.  In the large IXes it’s typically the small to medium folks who are on the route servers.  The “big folks” typically want you to peer with them directly.

In the case of Equinix you will probably get some requests sent to you as soon you are in the database for that location.  We typically see he.net one of the fastest folks.  Sometimes within an hour.  Many folks can lookup and see how much traffic would be exchanged with your ASN and decide if it’s worth it.  Also, the Content folks are more likely to peer with you on a public exchange instead of directly.

Not everyone is listed on peeringdb.  It would be great if they were.  Equinix has a list of who is on their exchanges.  This is typically where information is scraped from.

Justin Wilson
j2sw at mtin.net

---
http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth

http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman