The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Jan 25 20:42:48 UTC 2016

Brandon Butterworth wrote:
> It is but nobody worries about that, we trust route servers at IX
> carrying way more traffic than most of these access circuits.

more sessions for sure, but rarely more traffic.

The issue at hand is that multihop bgp at the isp edge is relatively
straightforward to fix by using big boxes, or mpls PW head-end to tunnel
to a big box, or by using small-fib boxes with large RIBs and selective
fib download.

IXPs solve a different set of problems, namely how to interconnect with
large numbers of third party organisations with low admin overhead.
There aren't easy solutions here.

Nick