The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Mon Jan 25 18:13:15 UTC 2016

Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 25/Jan/16 12:15, Joe Maimon wrote:
>

>> No static routes, dedicated BGP routed loopbacks on each side from an
>> allocated /31, strict definitions on which routes belong to which
>> session. Its gone about very properly.
>
> And all of this is simpler than having a native BGP session that runs
> across a point-to-point link?

Maybe not for some people, but I have a hard time understanding why one
extra ebgp session is such a novel concept for all you networking folk.

> My philosophy: if I could run a router with only one command in its
> configuration, I would.

They sell those routers at your nearest staples, they require zero commands.

> Personally, I abhor tunnels (and things that resemble them) as well as
> centralized networking. But that's just me.

I know you know better. What does this have to do with tunnels? Or how
centralized your network is built or not?

Joe