IPv6 traffic percentages?

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Thu Jan 21 13:56:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 09:48:19AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> > jokes aside, Its a hypothesis worth testing. It has qualities which
> > make it plausible.
> >
> > So please, between you, find a way to specify and test it!
>
> although the hypothesis has some intuitive appeal, how to test it is far
> from obvious.  and i note that, as a senior member of the measurement
> community, you're saying "you guys do it."  thanks a lot.  :)
>
> i considered rtt from a service such as goog to their querriers.  there
> are the problems of their distributed caches, the politics of getting
> their data, and the eyeball bias.  maybe find a platform with less of
> those biases.  dns is far too biased in all sorts of dimensions.  your
> add clicks?  i have found no usable coffee here in nagoya, so i may be
> missing something obvious.

Looking at my employers network...

We know the GPS coordinates for each BGP next-hop in the network, and
traffic is sampled on ingress at the edge of the network and reported to
pmacct (*flow), which also receives a RR-style BGP feed for correlation.

We can know where (geographically) a packet enters the network, where it
leaves the network and to what address family it belongs.

However, this would be just one network's (biased) view on things.