IPv6 traffic percentages?

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Wed Jan 20 23:35:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 08:23:09AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> > We could assert that the TTL is an indication of distance traveled.
>
> you might hypothesize it.  but the wide variance in per-hop rtt would
> seem to belie that.
>
> > Maybe one should record the TTL and Address Family of all packets
> > received from the internet ('inbound') at the next NANOG or IETF?
>
> we have large bodies of traceroute and ping results in various stores,
> mlab, atlas, mawi, ...  it is the analysis to test your original
> hypothesis which baffles me.

I'm not sure if milions traceroutes to all kinds of places are a good
dataset to begin with.

I'd try to look at natural / organic traffic, such as can be caught at a
dual-stacked CPE or webserver. The majority of the traffic my employer
carriers is not traceroute packets but other stuff.

When will you have the paper ready for publishing? :)