Binge On! - get your umbrellas out, stuff's hitting the fan.

Jeremy Austin jhaustin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 19:07:08 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> My favorite is actually having enough bandwidth to meet demand. What a
> concept. Ought to work for terrestrial; where we run out of
> spectrum/bandwidth is in shared-medium last-mile.
>

> That’s not a billing model… We were talking about billing models.
>
> What’s your favorite billing model?

Heh. I had said "fairness" — perhaps we both support unfair billing but
fair supply?

Two sides of the same tarnished coin, supply and demand.

Which model I prefer… Diogenes, when asked what kind of wine he liked best,
replied "The wine of others."

As a user in that top 10%, I like my bandwidth subsidized by my unwitting
peers. As an ISP, I'm managing to sell it AYCE, but I'm small potatoes. My
opinions are my own but largely informed by what I observe for customer
satisfaction, contrasting models in an uncompetitive market.