IPv6 Implementation and CPE Behavior

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Mon Jan 11 17:16:44 UTC 2016

hey,

> Are most CPE devices generally not IPv6 capable in the first place?  For those that are capable are they usually still configured with IPv6 disabled, requiring the customer to enable it?  For those CPE that are capable and enabled, is there a common configuration such as full blown DHCPv6 with PD?

In my experience, IPv6 is mostly disabled. But this will vary from
region to region due to different vendors on the market.

When IPv6 is already enabled, it mostly is DHCPv6 PD, otherways it'll
not really make sense as CPE. Some routers will also need M-bit set in
the RA, others will just blindly do DHCPv6.

But it tends to be PD _and_ NA, NA can or can not be annoying depending
on your network setup.

We have also seen issues with DHCP timers, make sure you have a way to
protect your DHCP servers and relays when CPE starts sending out request
every millisecond.

--
tarko