Nat

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Mon Jan 11 16:28:15 UTC 2016

On 1/7/16, 7:39 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Doug Barton"
<nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

>On 12/18/2015 01:20 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
>>

>> On 12/17/15, 1:59 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Matthew Petach"
>
>>> I'm still waiting for the IETF to come around
>>> to allowing feature parity between IPv4 and IPv6
>>> when it comes to DHCP.  The stance of not
>>> allowing the DHCP server to assign a default
>>> gateway to the host in IPv6 is a big stumbling
>>> point for at least one large enterprise I'm aware
>>> of.
>>

>> Tell me again why you want this, and not routing information from the
>> router?
>
>C'mon Lee, stop pretending that you're interested in the answer to this
>question, and wasting everyone's time in the process. You know the
>answers, just as well as the people who would give them.

I’m flattered that you think I know so much.

Jared gave a useful reply, and I’m doing research before writing an
internet-draft.

>>> Right now, the biggest obstacle to IPv6
>>> deployment seems to be the ivory-tower types
>>> in the IETF that want to keep it pristine, vs
>>> allowing it to work in the real world.
>>
>> There¹s a mix of people at IETF, but more operator input there would be
>> helpful. I have a particular draft in mind that is stuck between ³we¹d
>> rather delay IPv6 than do it wrong² and ³be realistic about how people
>> will deploy it."
>
>On this topic the operator input has been clear for over a decade, and
>yet the purists have blocked progress this whole time. The biggest
>roadblock to IPv6 deployment are its most ardent "supporters."

I don’t think IPv6 evangelists are in the way.
I do think many enterprises don’t care about IPv6, and no protocol changes
will make a difference. Some enterprise administrators wouldn’t mind
deploying IPv6 as long as they don’t have to think about it. I think this
is foolish: deploying a new Internet Protocol will not be simpler than
deploying a new Spanning Tree or a new routing protocol.
There are also enterprise administrators who have technical concerns;
those are the ones I want to help.

Lee