Binge On! - get your umbrellas out, stuff's hitting the fan.

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Jan 11 06:27:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> Let me be a consumer advocate for a moment. One of the reasons consumers
> are averse to usage-based billing is that the tech industry has not put
> good tools into their hands. While it is possible to disable automatic
> updates, set Windows 10's network settings to "metered", and micromanage
> your bandwidth, in general:

I encourage people to start engaging in the IETF MIF working group, that
could be one piece of the puzzle to create this toolset for the customer.
It would mean one can communicate properties for different network
connections.

Imagine you setting the mobile connection to "metered" and that you want
to keep bw usage low on this link, then your applications could be
configured (hopefully they would come with this as default) so that
backups won't happen over this connection, and lower video bitrate is used
than what TCP could indicate to the application is available.

It's of course better if the application do these choices than for the ISP
to have an middle-box that tries to affect applications by means of TCP
rate-adaptation trickery.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se