Binge On! - get your umbrellas out, stuff's hitting the fan.

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Jan 11 01:12:38 UTC 2016

>> Given that a lot of these updates are happening in the background
>> without any interaction with the users
>
> maybe for your customers, but not so true for our user base or others
> with which i have experience.  wise folk want control of patching.  and
> it's not only IT departments, but end users.

The Windows 10 stuff generally downloads in the background, then it pops
up and tells you how wonderful it is.  Most of the end users I know have
Windows Update set to do its thing automatically, and even if it's not
installed automatically it'll often download and then ask whether you want
to install it.

> otoh, smart devices may tilt this over time.  the security aspects of
> this are an amusing and horrifying subject of discussion in the opsec
> and other communities.

No kidding.

R's,
John