Binge On! - get your umbrellas out, stuff's hitting the fan.

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jan 10 21:21:33 UTC 2016

>> as for carriers pipes...will, if multicast was seriously taken up then eg OS
>> updates could be streamed out on regular updates

Given that a lot of these updates are happening in the background
without any interaction with the users, I'd think they'd be ideal for
network-un-neutral traffic shaping, throttle them when people are
doing something else, open them up at 3 AM.

In a more reasonable world, I agree that multicasting Windows Update
would make sense, but that would require a whole lot of agreements
from people who aren't inclined to agree.  Also remember that
multicasting only gets you so far, and I would be surprised if you
could multicast over the wireless last mile more efficiently than
unicasting.

R's,
John