GPON vs. GEPON

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 04:55:20 UTC 2016

We do not sell TV but that means our customers are cable cutters that do a
ton of Netflix, HBO Nordic, ViaSat, SBS, DR TV etc streaming. Our traffic
level per customer is about the double of what others report.

VoIP is not very popular, but people do that too. In either case traffic
levels from VoIP is so low that it is below the noise floor. When you can
get 940 Mbit/s transfer rates with 1 ms latency and no jitter, a single 64
Kbit/s voice stream is not going to be a problem. We point customers to
third party SIP providers and everyone are happy with that.

Do the math: a Netflix HD stream is about 5 Mbit/s. How many such stream
can you have with 2,4 Gbit/s capacity on a GPON OLT? Yes a lot. You might
say but every home has at least 5 TVs now, so with 64 users you need to be
able to do 5 times 64 times 5 Mbit/s (*). But it simply does not work that
way. We are very far from a situation where it works that way. Instead we
monitor the traffic levels, and if sometime in the future the peak traffic
becomes a problem, we are ready to either lower the split ratio or invest
in the next technology (probably some kind of x*10 Gbit/s PON). Until then
we take the cost savings of using a split ratio that works in the real
world.

(*) nobody has a backbone that can cope with that kind of traffic either.

Regards,

Baldur